To coin a phrase from the lyrics of an old song, “what the world needs now” to improve global health is nursing leadership. Several policy reports from the World Health Organization1,2 and the Pan America Health Organization (PAHO)3 emphasize the strategic importance of nursing leadership and the strengthening of nursing leadership at all levels of health systems for improving access and quality of care and population health outcomes. Similarly, these reports recognize the enhanced clinical expertise provided by advanced practice nurses and advocate for their expanded use and optimized scope of practice to deliver needed health care services in all countries, but especially in lower- and middle-income countries where advanced practice nurses may be few or non-existent, and where there is high health inequity.
(2) World Health Organization. The WHO Global Strategic Directions for Nursing and Midwifery (2021-2025). 2021 Geneva: WHO. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240033863
(3) Pan American Health Organization and the World Health Organization. The Strategic Importance of National Investment in Nursing Professionals in the Region of the Americas. Policy Brief. 2022 Washington, DC: PAHO. https://iris.paho.org/handle/10665.2/55957
(4) International Council of Nurses. Guidelines on Advanced Practice Nursing 2020. 2020 Geneva: ICN. https://www.icn.ch/system/files/documents/2020-04/ICN_APN%20Report_EN_WEB.pdf
(5) Bryant-Lukosius, D., & Martin-Misener, R. Advanced Practice Nursing: An Essential Component of Country Level Human Resources for Health. Policy Brief for the International Council of Nurses. 2015 Geneva: ICN. https://fhs.mcmaster.ca/ccapnr/documents/ICNPolicyBrief6AdvancedPracticeNursing_000.pdf
(6) Bryant-Lukosius, D., Ziegler, E., Kilpatrick, K., & Martin-Misener, R. Advanced practice nursing in Canada. In S.B. Hassmiller & J. Pulcini (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing Leadership: A Global Perspective. 2020 (pp. 77-92). Springer.
(7) Ziegler, E., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Baumann, A., Bourgeault, I., Kovacevic, N., Martin-Misener, R., Et.al. The Response and Impact of Advanced Practice Nurses for Addressing Health and Health System Needs Resulting from the COVID-19 Pandemic. Stakeholder Report. 2021. School of Nursing, McMaster University.
Esta obra está bajo una licencia internacional Creative Commons Atribución 4.0.